Posts

Showing posts from June, 2017

Taking a Break

Image
As much as I hate to do it, I'm going to be taking a break from blogging for the summer. I likely won't be posting much on my Instagram either during this time.

But why, you might ask? Well, between my part time job and my internship (which starts tonight - yay!) I'll be working full time, and on top of that I have some health issues I'm dealing with. Lately I've also been feeling the need to get off the internet (social media in particular) and focus on my sewing skills on a more technical level without the distraction of everything on internet-land.


I really enjoy blogging, but it's just another thing I have to keep up with and as I mentioned above, I'm gonna be pretty busy. That's not to say I won't be posting at all during this time. If I have the time and feel like it I'll still post here and there, but it probably won't be very regular.

I'm planning on returning to my regular blogging in September, which will be after my crazy summ…

1930's Aviatrix | Costume Photo's

Image
Paine Field Aviation Day May 20th, 2017
Earlier this year I posted some of my inspiration of women's aviation wear from the early 20th century. Since then I've put together a 1930's Aviatrix ensemble consisting of a pair of jodhpurs, leather flight helmet, and knee high lace up boots, which I premiered at Paine Field Aviation Day in May. This outfit was really popular and it was so comfortable. 
Usually this event has terrible weather. It's always rainy, windy and freezing, so I was excited to finally have an outfit I could wear that would be warm and still fit the era. However, this was the first time I think in the history of this event that it was actually warm. Go figure. But this outfit was still surprisingly comfortable, even in the warm weather.
The event itself was fun, as usual, and it was a great day of volunteering and hanging out. At the end of the day I was able to get some pictures with one of the biplanes. The sun was really bright, so I'm squinting i…

Making an 18th Century Inspired Dress Part 4 | Making the Petticoat/Skirt

Image
Today I'm wrapping up my Making Of posts for my 18th Century Inspired Dress, talking about how I made the petticoat/skirt. In the 18th century skirts were usually separate from the bodice and were referred to as petticoats, or "outer petticoats".

The petticoat is made from 2 large rectangular pieces of fabric, approximately 50 inches wide each for a total circumference of approximately 100 inches. Once my pieces were cut I stitched the sides together with a 5/8 inch seam allowance, leaving the top 8 inches open for the side openings. 

I folded the edges of the opening over once, then again to hide the raw edges, pressed, then hand stitched to hem the opening.


After this I pleated the skirt (which unfortunately I don't have any photo's of at this stage). I originally wanted to do cartridge pleats on the skirt but when I did a quick test I found that I didn't have enough fabric and I ended up with my backup plan of knife pleats.

Next, the waistband. The waistb…

June Updates

Image
It feels like I haven't posted in forever. I've had a lot of things going on in my life recently that unfortunately have been keeping me from doing much sewing and I've been procrastinating on writing up blog posts because, frankly, I've just been too tired and lazy to get it done.

So finally, I'm writing something up. Today's post is going to be a catch up post so I can share a few things that have been going on, some costume related, some not so much. Here we go...

Last month was Aviation Day and I premiered my 1930's aviatrix outfit. I want to do an official post about it soon, but for now here's a few details.


While I'm really with how this looks, most of the pieces are modern clothing items. The helmet and goggles are authentic WWII British, which I found at a local antique store. I made the jodhpurs myself, but the rest is all modern. I plan on replacing these with authentic pieces as I find them, but for now they fit the part.

This was a real…