Posts

Showing posts from February, 2015

Things are getting hairy

Image
I'm sorry, but most of my blog post titles relating to my wigs are probably going to have really cheesy titles.

Yesterday I got some more work done on Wiggy, my Christine Daae wig. I've been working on the hairline for a total of 3 none consecutive days so far and I'm almost half way done. When I first started ventilating I had a hard time with getting the hairs and the hook in the right positions. But I've noticed that I'm a lot better and faster now than I use to be. Practice my friends. Practice.


You may not notice it, but I traced out my hairline on the lace of my wig with a pencil one time when I had it on. I thought I was doing myself a favor, and total forgot that I had my hairline traced out on my wig head. When I tried to get rid of the pencil markings with an eraser I found that it didn't want to come out. I'm still figuring out how to take care of that, but learn from my mistake and don't use a pencil on your lace.

When I tried on the wig I n…

Cosplanner | The App for All Costumers!

Image
Okay, so I was scrolling through my Instagram feed this morning and one of the cosplayers I follow posted about this app called Cosplanner and how it's helped her keep track of all her cosplay's. Well, I immediately went and downloaded it (it's free) and I love it!

It helps you plan out your costumes by listing what you need to make and what you need to buy. For each item you enter it will have you put if it's completed and how long it took or how much you spent on it. It also keeps track of the total progress and how much time you've spent on the project.



When you finish a project you can see just how many hours you put into it and how much you spent as well.
It also has a place for you to download reference pictures for each of your costumes, which is super nice so you can always have easy access to them when you need to pull something up real quick.
So far I've only entered information on costumes I've either worked on in the past and the Wishing Dress, …

Sewing Haul!

Image
I had the day off work yesterday, so my mom, sister and I went out to do a little shopping. We went to JoAnn's to take advantage of their Presidents day sale, and although I didn't buy a ton of stuff (okay, I did buy a ton of patterns), I did get some awesome deals!

Simplicity patterns were on sale for $1 each, so I picked up a bunch. I don't know about you, but that's the only time I ever buy commercial patterns. ;)


I picked up this petticoat pattern, mainly thinking of the pattern in the upper left corner for my graduation dress. I could make my petticoat without a pattern, but I figured for a buck I'd pick up the pattern.

This one is also for my graduation dress, which I just realized I never shared here on my blog Oops! I'll make a post on that soon. But anyways, I picked up the pattern for the single shoulder dress pattern. The top of the dress is a separate piece from the skirt, so it should work nicely!

Another corset pattern. I realize I have yet to use…

The Historical Sew Monthly January Challenge | Bustle Pillow Tutorial

Image
So I did do the first challenge of the Historical Sew Monthly in January, I just haven't gotten photo's of it yet. But, I did make a video tutorial for it. I was going to get photo's and post them at the same time I shared this tutorial, but they weather has been pretty rainy and I've been really busy lately. So I thought I would just make a quick post and share the tutorial.
Here ya go!

I'll write up the official post for it with all the info on the item after I get pictures. Which will hopefully be soon. ;)

The 1871 Dress

Image
I've decided that before I make the Wishing Dress that I want to make a dress from the same era I'm basing the dress off of, the early 1870's. I'm doing this since I've never made a historical dress before, and while I'll learn a lot when I do the mock up, I want to be familiar with the techniques and other aspects of the dress. Also, I want to make it with directional fabric since the Wishing Dress has directional fabric and I don't have any experience with matching up patterns.

The pattern I chose is from Janet Arnold's Patterns of Fashion 2; the 1870-1 dress. I still need to get the patter enlarged, but I got impatient and started on the skirt. I measured it all out myself and have the muslin cut and the pieces pinned together.

I'm thinking I may change the neckline to this though. 1 because it's almost identical to the Wishing Dress, and 2 because I think I like this better than what the pattern has.


As for the fabric, I'm still figuring…