A few weeks ago I attempted to style my wig for my Rose costume, and while it looked alright on my styrofoam wig head, it looked pretty bad once I put it one my head. It was because the wig head was so much smaller than my actual head. When I had it on you could see the wefts and in area's where it wasn't so thick you could see the brown of my actual hair.
I decided I needed to get a wig head that fit my head so I could style my wigs on it. I started watching lot's of video's on YouTube on wigs. My main focus has been on Broadway wigs, just because they're very high end and look amazing! I was surprised by how many video's I've been able to find about Broadway wigs.
I found a backstage video about the wigs from Wicked, which showed how they make the wigs for the show. You can view the video HERE. Anyways, I went and used the technique they showed in the video to customize my cheap wig head.
And thus, I present to you, the Custom Wig Head Tutorial!
This is …
This is the second part of the Making of Alice, which is focusing on the apron! You can see the 1st part of this tutorial HERE and pictures of the completed costume HERE
I drafted the pattern myself, which was pretty simple. For the bottom half I started with a rectangle, making it slightly smaller at the waist. For the top, I made it from three pieces. A rectangular piece for the front, marking where I wanted the neckline and shoulders on my dresform. Then on the back I have two pieces (one on each side) that are round and stitched at the shoulder seams and overlap in the back where I sewed a couple of snaps on.
Then there was the waist band, which was a simple straight piece. And lastly, the bow. Unfortunately I didn't get any pictures of the making of the bow because I was using a tutorial for it. That can be found HERE.
Anyways, let's get started! First thing I did was cut out all of my pieces form my fabric. I used a plain white cotton from Jo-Ann's.
One of the accessories for any Jedi belt is the food capsules. Even though you never see them used in the movies, they add a bit to the look of the belt.
I didn't really think I would end up having any of these for my Obi Wan inspired Jedi costume, at least not before May the 4th. But after doing a quick google search I found that other's were making them. And what was even better was that it was something that I could make myself.
I don't have any previous experience in making anything even remotely similar to this, but it was fun to be doing something for a costume that doesn't involve fabric.
This is a list of supplies I used to make mine. Pen capsRound studsHot GluePlasterSandpaperPrimerPaintFlat Top coat
For painting them I took an old cardboard box and cut the front off. I then strung some fishing wire across with duct tape on the ends to hold the caps while I sprayed the primer and top coat.
As I mentioned in my previous post, it took me forever to find the righ…