Jedi Food Capsules {A Tutorial}

One of the accessories for any Jedi belt is the food capsules. Even though you never see them used in the movies, they add a bit to the look of the belt.


I didn't really think I would end up having any of these for my Obi Wan inspired Jedi costume, at least not before May the 4th. But after doing a quick google search I found that other's were making them. And what was even better was that it was something that I could make myself.

My finished capsules.

I don't have any previous experience in making anything even remotely similar to this, but it was fun to be doing something for a costume that doesn't involve fabric.

This is a list of supplies I used to make mine.
  • Pen caps
  • Round studs
  • Hot Glue
  • Plaster
  • Sandpaper
  • Primer
  • Paint
  • Flat Top coat
For painting them I took an old cardboard box and cut the front off. I then strung some fishing wire across with duct tape on the ends to hold the caps while I sprayed the primer and top coat.

As I mentioned in my previous post, it took me forever to find the right pens. But I finally found a 4 pack of these pens at Target for about $4.


When looking for the pens, you want to find some that have an angled cap like this.

For the bottom of the pen cap I bought some rounded studs from Pacific fabrics. They came in a 20 pack for less than $2.


I folded the spikes on them down so that they would be flat on the open end of the pen cap.

Next I filled the end of the cap with hot glue.

 I did the same thing with the studs.

Next I glued the studs to the pen caps.

To fill in the cracks between the studs and the cap I used spackle and made sure to rub it in the cracks real good.


After the spackle dried I sanded the excess off, leaving it nice and smooth.

Then I sprayed them with primer.

Then it was time to paint. I ended up using these colors, which were the closest I had to the actual colors. The colors I used were gold, rubber, steel, and black. All except for the black were enamel paints. The black was acrylic.

After that I sprayed them with a couple of layers of a flat top coat. And ta-da! They're done!



Comments

  1. Great job recording your process Tiana! Great job overall on this part of your project.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Custom Wig Head Tutorial!

The Making of Alice | The Apron