Posts

Showing posts from November, 2013

Packing Gown Skirt Mock Up

Image
I've been working on the skirt mock up for the packing gown for the last week or so now, and I've started to make some really good progress. I've been trying to figure out how to work the pleats and have gone through a lot of different types and trials.
This was my second attempt at getting the pleats right.
As you can see here it looks pretty good on the top, but the bottom half of the skirt isn't as full as it needs to be. So I took all of those pleats out and tried again but this time made them smaller.
This is what I have for the underskirt right now. The plan is to put ruffles along the whole under skirt, but for right now this is all I have and it's working for the time being.
Since my room is so small I have to spread everything out on my bed. Here's some of the reference photo's I've been using.
I recently bought "Dressing a Galaxy" by Trisha Biggar, and it's an amazing book! Unfortunately it only has two pictures of the packing g…

Padme's Packing Gown

Image
I've wanted to make this costume forever but have always been intimidated by it because I want it to be perfect. I've seen so many recreations of this dress but I've never seen one with the right skirt silhouette. I've been studying this costume for around 2 years now and building up my knowledge of costuming. I've finally started to come up with some good idea's on how to get the correct silhouette.


The part I've been worrying about the most is the skirt. It has so full and uses a lot of material. I've been trying to figure out what sort of support is under the skirt. I was originally thinking of a small hoop skirt, but when you see her walking in it in the movie you can see that her legs move the fabric, so that eliminates that idea.

Also, I recently realized that her skirt has a slight bustle. And in the back there is a very small portion of the skirt that lays on the ground.


 I began to think of what Trisha Biggar must have used to create this and …

More of Marion

Image
I have some more pictures of my Marion costume I made a few months ago. I wore it for Halloween yesterday but I still haven't finished the embroidery for two reasons. 1. I haven't felt like doing embroidery since I finished what I have. 2. my fabric pen is out of ink and I haven't had a chance to buy a new one.
Anyways, here's the pictures.





 I bough these shoes from Famous Footwear this summer when they were on clearance. They look fantastic but they're a pain to wear!

I want to thank Janey from Atomic Redhead for sharing her embroidery pattern with me. Thank you so much!
And last but not least, me using my frying pan to block the rain.