Posts

Showing posts from 2013

2013 in Review + 2014 Costume Plans

Image
This year I've made three costumes and learned so much about costuming. With each costume I learn so many new things. No matter what happens, even if the costumes don't turn out right, I still learn a lot and I learn more skills to put into my next project.
I thought it would be fun to do a post with the costumes I've made this year and also post the costumes I hope to make next year. I've seen other costume bloggers do this, and I think it's a really good idea. To get things started, here's the costumes I made this year.
 For May the Fourth I made Aunt Beru's outfit from Star Wars Attack of the Clones. Although this costume isn't perfect, I've learned a lot from it. Someday I would like to re make this costume in more accurate materials.
Then in the summer I (mostly) made Marion Ravenwoods costume from Indiana Jones: Raiders of the Lost Ark. I still have a lot of embroidery to do on this, which hopefully I'll be getting to soon. :)
Then I'…

It's Christmas!

Image
Merry Christmas everybody! I hope you all are having a wonderful Christmas like I am.

Packing Gown Mock up Progress

Image
I made some major progress on my mock up for Padme's Packing Gown this week. I'm so excited to see it all coming together! I made the under vest mock up this last weekend and then I also have made some huge progress on the under skirt and and skirt mock up.
Here's some pictures of the under vest. I haven't gotten to the sleeves yet, as you can tell. It has three pieces of boning in the front and then there are a total of four pieces on the back. There isn't a lot of information of what goes under the costume, so I was left to come up with a lot by myself.
When I was looking at others costumes, I saw someone did a lace up back for the under vest. I decided that that would be the best way to do this, so I did. This was my first time using grommets and it went well. They're pretty easy to use. For the mock up I only used twelve (six on each side) but when I made the real one I want to put a few more on each side. I still don't know for sure how may I will do.


Packing Gown Skirt Mock Up

Image
I've been working on the skirt mock up for the packing gown for the last week or so now, and I've started to make some really good progress. I've been trying to figure out how to work the pleats and have gone through a lot of different types and trials.
This was my second attempt at getting the pleats right.
As you can see here it looks pretty good on the top, but the bottom half of the skirt isn't as full as it needs to be. So I took all of those pleats out and tried again but this time made them smaller.
This is what I have for the underskirt right now. The plan is to put ruffles along the whole under skirt, but for right now this is all I have and it's working for the time being.
Since my room is so small I have to spread everything out on my bed. Here's some of the reference photo's I've been using.
I recently bought "Dressing a Galaxy" by Trisha Biggar, and it's an amazing book! Unfortunately it only has two pictures of the packing g…

Padme's Packing Gown

Image
I've wanted to make this costume forever but have always been intimidated by it because I want it to be perfect. I've seen so many recreations of this dress but I've never seen one with the right skirt silhouette. I've been studying this costume for around 2 years now and building up my knowledge of costuming. I've finally started to come up with some good idea's on how to get the correct silhouette.


The part I've been worrying about the most is the skirt. It has so full and uses a lot of material. I've been trying to figure out what sort of support is under the skirt. I was originally thinking of a small hoop skirt, but when you see her walking in it in the movie you can see that her legs move the fabric, so that eliminates that idea.

Also, I recently realized that her skirt has a slight bustle. And in the back there is a very small portion of the skirt that lays on the ground.


 I began to think of what Trisha Biggar must have used to create this and …

More of Marion

Image
I have some more pictures of my Marion costume I made a few months ago. I wore it for Halloween yesterday but I still haven't finished the embroidery for two reasons. 1. I haven't felt like doing embroidery since I finished what I have. 2. my fabric pen is out of ink and I haven't had a chance to buy a new one.
Anyways, here's the pictures.





 I bough these shoes from Famous Footwear this summer when they were on clearance. They look fantastic but they're a pain to wear!

I want to thank Janey from Atomic Redhead for sharing her embroidery pattern with me. Thank you so much!
And last but not least, me using my frying pan to block the rain.

Anna from Frozen

Image
I've fallen in love with the costumes from Disney's next movie, Frozen. After seeing the newest trailer for the movie yesterday I decided I have to make Anna's snow dress! Actually, I'd like to make both of her's and Elsa's dresses eventually.

Here's some pictures of her costume. When I do make this costume, I won't be looking forward to the embroidery. I think I need to get an embroidery machine.




I'll be doing research for a while before I actually make the costume, and I want to see the movie first so I can see how the dress moves and can get an idea of what sort of fabric to use. So I guess the earliest I'll be getting started is the end of November.

American Duchess Giveaway!

Image
American Duchess is giving away a pair of their new 1930's Oxfords! Click HERE to check it out!